d:CON 4_01 Introduction & "No Dram of Mercy" by Sybil Kathigasu

1. What you aspire to achieve in d:CON 4 ?

At first, I hope that I can achieve enough sleeping time in this new semester although it is impossible to me. (I’m slow in doing work, just kidding.) I hope that I can enjoy this project by feeling anything it bring to me. It might be the knowledge of designing architecture, inspiration and creative exploration as well as presentation skills. Architecture life is filled with surprises, even though it bring a lot of tough days. I like to tell stories, no matter in talking, writing, or drawing. Meanwhile, there is another way to be a storyteller – an architect. Great architecture tells stories. I hope that I am able to tell people story of Sybil Kathigasu, a freedom fighter in Malaya though this project.


2. What are the ingredients in you that you think will contribute to d:CON 4 ?

I am a person who like seeking knowledge and sharing experiences with others. I like to talk with people, involved myself in different fields. This enriched me and also the people surrounding. Sometime I will be too strict to myself in order to get some improvements, but now I will just let myself to stay happy and just try my best to do everything well. I believed that always stay positive will make things easier and flowing more better design ideas.


3. Tell us something about you, your ego, things that make up you.

Since primary school, I always study hard to get an excellent results due to the stressful environment. This make me always try my best to achieve whatever I want to. Meanwhile architecture life change me a lot, it provide me an avenue in widen the horizon, make me viewing the things from different perspective. In fact, I met a mentor in architecture life which is Ar. Wee Hii Min. He used to be my lecturer, boss and “family” as well. I was the youngest among them and proud of being one of the member in this big family. Working in this office is indeed a big challenge for me but I am having fun with it. Thanks to all these challenges come to me which improves quality not only in term of academic but also character. Apart from that, it’s interesting to build the art work at site by construction. It can be last forever as well. This is what others cannot do.





4. What would you construe the current assignment in d:CON 4?

Sybil Kathigasu is supper bossy but I really like her. This novel is first person account of her experiences in attempting to assists compatriots during Japanese Occupation resulted in her imprisonment, tortured and interrogated as well as death. I can feel the deeply hopeless under such torturing by Japanese. However, her personality dominates her so strongly. She is warm to help other poor and wounded people but also cool to fight her enemy. The installation we do currently is a core to final architecture design, which is the memorial of Sybil Kathigasu. The memorial will reflect the history and Sybil’s memory. We have to remember this Malayan woman, a brave freedom fighter from history.




评论

此博客中的热门博文

d:CON 4_08 Function follow form?

d:CON 4_06 Papan Transcript 2.0

d:CON_4 Final Design of Drive Thru Gallery